Speak, read, write, and type Mandarin Chinese fluently.
Studied Japanese, Cantonese, Taiwanese, Tibetan, and German.
Founder and Lead Game Designer, Golden Drake Studios, July 2014–Present
• Developing Adventures Unending and a handful of other roleplaying, adventure, and educational games using the Unity game development platform.
Software Test Engineer and Consumer Representative, Nintendo of America via Parker Staffing, Redmond, WA, June 2016–Present
• Testing functionality and technical compliance of Nintendo products.
• Responding to consumers’ questions and hardware/software issues.
Software Engineer, Hewlett Packard Enterprise via Insight Global, Conway, AR, March–May 2016
• Wrote C, SQL, and Unix shell scripts for processing healthcare data.
Night Auditor and Hiking Guide, Green Valley Spa, St. George, UT, Sept. 2014–March 2016
• Checked guests in and out, answered calls, and compiled night audit documents.
• Guided, assisted, and educated spa guests during hikes throughout southwestern Utah.
Web Developer, Xtiri, St. George, UT, June–July 2014
• Wrote Ruby code to handle XML files for a business data management platform.
Translator and Editor, Industrial Technology Research Institute, Taipei, Taiwan, April 2013–April 2014
• Chinese-English translation as well as writing and editing of English documents for conferences, publications, multimedia, and general communications.
English Teacher, English Bridge School, Taipei, Taiwan, Nov. 2012–April 2013
• Prepared and taught beginning, intermediate, and advanced English lessons for children and adults.
Software Test Engineer, Volt Information Sciences, Redmond, WA, Feb.–July 2011
• Tested functionality and technical compliance for Xbox 360 games, including Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Crimson Alliance, and the Kinect title Gunstringer.
Teaching Assistant, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, Aug. 2009–May 2010
• Presented lectures and graded papers for introductory philosophy courses.
• Assisted Dr. Stephen Downes with a book project on human diversity and preparations for a biennial meeting of the Philosophy of Science Association.
Chinese Teacher, City Academy, Salt Lake City, UT, Aug. 2008–June 2009
• Taught beginning and intermediate Mandarin Chinese for middle school and high school students.
Freelance Teacher, Tutor, Translator, and Interpreter, Taipei, Taiwan, Aug. 2005–June 2008
• Taught science and EFL lessons and provided translation and interpretation services for a wide variety of individuals and organizations, including Ivy Bilingual High School, National Chengchi University, National Taiwan Normal University, and Foresight International Education Center.
Computer Lab Assistant, BYU Office of Information Technology, Provo, UT, Aug. 2004–Aug. 2005
• Managed on-campus computer labs, sold products, cleaned equipment, and assisted students, faculty, and staff with computer-related problems.
Intern, Penn State University, State College, PA, June–July 2004
• Assisted Dr. Chris House with biogeochemical analysis of five Winogradsky columns simulating ancient microbial ecosystems as part of the Penn State Astrobiology Summer Program.
Chinese-English Interpreter, BuddhAll, Taipei, Taiwan, Jan. 2013
• Provided Chinese-to-English and English-to-Chinese interpretation at a conference on “Nurturing Happiness in Children” attended by two ambassadors from Bhutan.
Note Taker, DigiPen Institute of Technology, Redmond, WA, Aug. 2010–Jan. 2011
• Wrote detailed notes during computer science and math classes on behalf of disabled students and students whose first language isn’t English.
Chinese-English Interpreter, Chinese Childrenhome and Shelter Association, Taiwan, April 2007
• Provided Chinese-to-English and English-to-Chinese interpretation services during visits to multiple children’s homes and shelters throughout central and southern Taiwan.
Mentor, Provo Youth Mentoring Program, Provo, UT, Oct. 2004–May 2005
• Improved the reading and writing skills of an at-risk child in my neighborhood.
Volunteer Representative, LDS Church, Taipei, Taiwan, Sept. 1999–Aug. 2001
• Participated in a wide variety of service projects, including cleaning, garbage collection, free English lessons, and assistance at hospitals and orphanages.
Coursework in Game Design, DigiPen Institute of Technology, 2010–2011
Coursework in Philosophy, University of Utah, 2009–2010
Coursework in Philosophy, National Chengchi University, 2006–2008
BS in Biology, Brigham Young University, 2001–2005
AS with Honors in General Studies, Dixie State University, 1998–1999
Honors and Awards
Teaching Assistantship, University of Utah
Taiwan Scholarship, Taiwan Ministry of Education
1st Place, Technical Writing Competition, Brigham Young University
2nd Place, Quark Speculative Fiction Contest, Brigham Young University
3rd Place, Advanced Chinese Speech Competition, Brigham Young University
1st Place, Japanese Speech Competition, Brigham Young University
Don Gates Memorial Scholarship, Dixie State University
Music Scholarship, Dixie State University
Eagle Scout Award, Boy Scouts of America